Monday, June 30, 2008

26. Evernote


Evernote isn't exactly a "social" application. It is, however, very Web 2.0 in its insistence on making data entry painless wherever you happen be - on your phone, on the web or on your desktop. You can use Evernote to clip parts of web pages (or the whole thing), enter free-form notes yourself or save images and other media in a single spot. Evernote comes with a desktop client, a Firefox browser button and an email address that you can email to (or text to an an email address) notes/media/thoughts as well. For those of you who got into the Jott application when it was featured earlier, you can take that Evernote email address, add it as a Jott contact and "Jott" your notes via your phone to Evernote. It is free and offers 40 MegaBytes of uploaded data per month - that's a lot of random thoughts you can capture pretty easily!! Their own description of their services comes from their Help section:
Evernote is a Web Service that helps users manage all the digital information most relevant to them. The Service can be accessed through free, user-friendly Evernote software running on a personal computer or mobile device, or any Web browser.
This isn't the only note-taking software that is available, but it is the best example of a note-capture system that uses Web 2.0 theory (be where your users are!) that I've seen. No matter where I am, I have no problems dropping information into my Evernote account. While it isn't precisely social, it does allow you to share portions of your data - any of your notebooks can be easily shared with the public. It also takes advantage of tagging to help you organize your thoughts and your notebooks in a way that makes sense to you!
Evernote is free, but it is still in beta and requires an invite. I have 19 of 'em left and I think Bobbi might have a few as well. Just leave a request in the comments or email me and I'll hook you up!

15 comments:

Nikki B said...

Wow this is extremely usefull for me! I like to bookmark certain sites that have certain sayings, or recipes, or how-to's and sometimes those are gone by the time I go back so capturing and site with what I want to go back and look at is very useful!

Anonymous said...

Evernote: Cool thought about applying Jott w Evernote functions. H’m taking notes on the web – maybe if I were writing something, that required a lot of web-browsing. I’d like to be able to take Notes within my Gmail account – I got an email reply, and then followed up with a 2nd person by phone – I wanted to jot down that conversation somewhere & the 1st email would have been ideal (sorry I digress). Yes Nikki – I can see where this would be useful for like sayings or recipes h’mm though if I really like it I download it – Or I put it in an email to myself.

sexybeast said...

Don't see the point.

Eric said...

Like Nikki, I can certainly use Evernote. Sure, it's copy-n-paste on steroids, but that's exactly what I need when surfing. It's much better than a huge list of favorites that actually aren't, or several Word pages of items with no URLs.

Anonymous said...

Would definately be useful while doing research on the internet. I can see how Robin and Bobbi would use this a lot for preparing presentations and example slides. Robin, please send me an invite. Tammy

Robin said...

Actually, folks, between the time I wrote this and the time it was posted (less than a week, really) it went from invite only to open beta. No invites required. Feel free to sign up and enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Nikki. This is better than having to add to favorites just for one part of a site. When you do get back to look at it, it may not be there.

betterlate said...

I am going to set this up on my home computer. I would love to have one place to put all the sites that I visit or want to see!

Anonymous said...

i would like to explore this more on my home computer with site that I visit often IF we ever get DSL

Anonymous said...

I think this will be very helpful I'll have to check it out more at home.

Anonymous said...

This would be great for comparison shopping online! Just highlight and copy what you want to compare and have it all in one place without bouncing between tabs. I also like Nikki's idea for recipes. Sometimes I can never remember where I saw a recipe or maybe it isn't there when I go back. I don't know that I will use it, but it seems like a good application.

Anonymous said...

It would be great for research and to have all your resources in one place. It amazes me how painless information organization is becoming.

Courtney said...

Silly me. All this time I've been using paper to take notes! What was I thinking? Actually, I like taking notes on paper, even if it is a little disorganized. Still prefer delicious for my bookmarks...

Robin said...

@watersc - LOL! I just got into a FriendFeed conversation with someone who can't give up their moleskine paper notebooks - and I can't either. I do, however, dump all the stuff I take note of into my Evernote notebook at least once a week. That way it's searchable and accessible even if I don't have that particular notebook with me. I have a Centro smartphone and a netbook and I *still* rely on paper to take the majority of my notes, and that is apparently pretty common!

Anonymous said...

If I had DSL for my home computer, I would definitely use some of the services I've been reading about. And lo, just yesterday, I received a special offer from my ISP, giving me six months of DSL for a few dollars more than I'm paying for DSL. So I'm going for it.