It's easier to explain as you're using it, so let's set up your account and profile.
- Go to Facebook and click "sign up" enter your information.
- Facebook will ask for your email address and password to look for your friends on Facebook. You can skip this step if you like. If you put your information in Facebook will find any of your contacts who are using that address on Facebook and ask you if you want to be friends with them. It will also ask you to send invitations to anyone who is not on Facebook, you can skip this step if you like, but it's a good way to find friends who are already on Facebook.
- So that's it your page is set up. You can find friends by searching for email addresses or names. Try searching for Robin or Bobbi's full name to see how it works.
Businesses and Nonprofits are allowed to create Pages on Facebook, you can become a "fan" of any of these that you like and want to support. Since you're participating in MRRL's Library Learning 2.1 program we'll assume you're a fan of MRRL. So let's become a fan of MRRL's page
- Find MRRL's page either by clicking the link or searching for "missouri river regional library",
- click on the link that says "become a fan"
- Check back on the page regularly for updates on events and discussions!
Each Facebook page has some default applications like "The Wall", "Friends", "Photos" and "Videos", it also had optional applications you can add to your profile. You can find these by looking at your friends profiles and clicking on them their or through invitations from your friends on your home page.
MRRL also has an application on Facebook that allows you to search our catalog right from your Facebook Profile page.
Add MRRL's catalog application to your Profile page
- Find the application by searching for "mrrl catalog"
- Click on "add Missouri River Regional Library Catalog Search to your Facebook profile"
After you set up your account take some time to play with it. Like most social networking sites you get out of it what you put into it. Facebook is fun! With the add-on applications there is so much you can do to customize your Profile. Look at your friends Profiles. Explore! Play! Have fun!