Monday, September 15, 2008

36. Keeping things simple

Now that we are reaching the end of this set of lessons, you all have created accounts and played around with a *bunch* of different services in the Web 2.0 landscape. You may be wondering, at this point, how to keep up with updates to Twitter, Friendfeed, Facebook and all the other sites that want you to keep them up-to-date with what you are doing. Using a social updating aggregator such as Updating.me, Ping.fm or Hellotxt will really help you out with this task. Any of these services will take your login information for a variety of sites and update them all in one fell swoop.
Updating.me offers one-stop updating for 10 different services, including Twitter, Facebook, Friendfeed, Plurk and others that we haven't gotten around to mentioning yet. It also will show you a single page of your friends' updates from any of those services on it's home page as well, which is a feature that the other two don't have. Updating.me is still in beta, but the code BetaToUpdateMe

12 comments:

Eric said...

I just used Ping to update my Blogger and Tumblr pages, and it works great. This is my type of service. It's a wonderful, quick way to update multiple pages, and not have to worry about logins.

sexybeast said...

Ping, pong the witch is dead. lol.

I just used the great and wonderful Ping for my pages too. Finally, a tool I will love for long time.

Anonymous said...

Well, I checked out updateme first,then I checked out Ping. Ping is alot better for me. It updates more of the pages I use. This is going to make things so much easier.

Anonymous said...

So if you have a security risk – it’s a bigger risk since several accounts will be compromised, though since we’re Not talking bank accounts, all you may lose are your social networks.
I guess I'd be more interested in something that updates my various book accounts - or my social cataloging. I started off with Library Thing, and then tried out Shelfari and maybe also Goodreads (did we do that one?). I keep Library Thing current, but I've had ftf friends ask to be "friended" on my other book accounts. I have to let them know, that I'm Not active on that account that it was just a trial run for work, and that maybe they should switch to Library Thing (ok - not so likely).

Anonymous said...

I checked out the lists on all 3. Of those listed I've only kept my facebook and linkedin accounts updated. It sounds like a useful idea for the right person though.

betterlate said...

I do not think I need this yet but it is always good to know this is available!

Anonymous said...

Its good to know there are things like updateme and ping out there to help me out.

Anonymous said...

Good tools for those of us who have little time to devote to all our pages. I'm going to pass on these services at this time but I will pass it on to my daughter so she can try it out.

Anonymous said...

It's not something I will use right now, but think my teens will!

Anonymous said...

My life really doesn't seem to ever need much updating but if it ever does, this sounds great.

I Don't Know How She Does It! said...

I have been thinking about deleting my myspace page because I never update it anymore. Perhaps I should reconsider using one of these things before I make a final decision. They seem useful.

Anonymous said...

Don't think I need the services just now. Good to know they're available.