Monday, September 29, 2008

38. Feedhub

Feedhub, a recommendation engine for RSS feeds, may be just what you need to start really taking control of your information sources. Are your feed reader "unread" items a bit higher than you like? Feedhub can analyze what you are reading now and pull interesting and relevant stories out of the 'net just for you. The more you use it, the better it gets at figuring out what it is you like. You can also point it toward your FriendFeed or Delicious accounts or your blog to teach it more about what you are interested in. Once Feedhub does the analyzing of your interests, you will start to get stories in your feed reader that are tailored for you. Once that happens, you can pretty much delete most of your other feeds and rely on Feedhub to keep you informed.
I haven't been using it for very long, but it seems to do a pretty good job of figuring out what sort of news/stories/blog posts I will like from my feeds and delivering them to me. I'll keep tweaking the stories it sends (by going to the Feedhub site and "voting" on the stories it suggests for me) to make it work even better, though! What I'd really like is for it to pull stories from *other* feeds to show me that match the kinds of stories I like, as well.
This tool is another possible way to take control of your information sources and manage your time efficiently - use it if you feel like you want more control over the amount of information that comes at your via your feed reader!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I haven't checked any of my RSS feeds in a long, long time. If I can't get a weekly, monthly, summary delivered to my email, I just don't get around to reading it. But for people who do.... this would save them from having to log-in and out of a bunch of different sites.

Eric said...

This may be what is needed to clean up my Bloglines mess. Like Marion, I find myself returning there less and less. If Feedhub's streamlining works as advertised, I may get interested again.

Anonymous said...

I really haven't checked them in a very long time, this just might make it more appealing.

I Don't Know How She Does It! said...

I think Feedhub's intuitive nature sounds like what a lot of busy people need to help them tackle their RSS feed overload. It seems like an incredibly useful tool for internet "power users." I think it would be a neat thing for Bobbi to introduce people to on her MRRL blog----you know like a "did you know" kind of post---the people reading our MRRL blog are most like likely quite Techno saavy and if they don't know about this already could benefit from this information.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with Marion, I haven't checked my RSS feeds in I don't know how long, and if I can't get a short summary in my email I just forget about it and move on.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any RSS feeds, don't know that I'll ever get one. I'm not really sure if the information you get from them is the standard news from around the world or from blogs? If it is standard news, I read the papers, watch the news on TV and read it on the homepage of my personal (at home) email service. I guess if I had a lot of RSS feeds, then this would be a useful tool!

Anonymous said...

I am like most everyone that says I haven't looked at my feeds for a long time. It would be useful to someone that looks at it everyday. Not for me.

betterlate said...

I currently do not have any RSS feeds and I do not know if I ever will. I just need more time!!

Q said...

I was just thinking I should check my RSS feeds, but decided to do 2.1 instead. I wonder if it would get so good at identifying what an individual likes, that you would get an overkill - hard to imagine with cites like "I can has cheezburger" (just kidding and no I don't have it on my RSS feed - but I did learn about it there). So it looks like most of us are unable to keep on the RSS feeds. Leslie, I'm impressed with the variety of sources you access.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any feeds either, I get mine like leslie.

Anonymous said...

Like others, I haven't checked my feeds for awhile - I found a little extra time and had to choose b/t 2.1 or the feeds. I wonder if the feedhub will start sending you too much of the same good thing (hard to imagine with lolcat), sometimes I just like variety.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any RSS feeds. This does sound like a good way to manage lots of imformation but I don't that I would have much use for it.

Anonymous said...

I read several newspapers on the web, a few blogs, and try to consult sites like alternet at least every other day to keep up, but it's daunting.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to include that I don't have any RSS feeds. Need to talk with Bobbi about this, but the idea of getting even MORE info is to much to think about.